Psst…Hey Spammer! Yes – YOU! You may not think you are a Spammer.
We forgive you for not knowing – but here’s Social Media Business Marketing Tip #1: Stop It!
Stop throwing up your business all over people all over the place online. Yuck! It’s a turn off people. Think of someone’s Facebook wall as their offline home.
- Would you knock on your new neighbor’s door – introduce yourself – and immediately tell them to “buy this or that” from you?
- Would you go to someone’s home and start posting banners about your business or whatever you’re marketing all over their walls?
- Would you tag the pictures and artwork on their living-room walls with stickers saying “click the link to join me now”?
- Would you come invited to a get-together – walk in the door – shut off the music and launch into your business opportunity presentation?
- Would you respond to everyone who hasn’t responded to your antics by saying “hey you haven’t responded – here’s the link again – click it” or “hey you haven’t responded – here’s the link again in case you forgot to buy this or that” or “hey you – you haven’t joined me yet – click the link”?
I would say… NOT! So if you wouldn’t do these things in the “real” world offline – why would you do it online?
If you are new to social media – your very first tip for marketing your business online is to STOP IT.
Stop the Spamming. Stop “spray painting” your business all over people’s personal Facebook or other social media walls. Stop sending messages blatantly beating people over the head with your “buy-join-pay-now” links.
People DO NOT CARE about what you do – your business – or what you have to sell or offer – UNTIL they know how much you CARE!
Don’t lead with a Louisville Slugger beating people over the head with your marketing efforts. Lead with value.
Now that you are a reformed Spammer – help your friends with their own “intervention” and share this post. Let’s rid the online community of spammers. (smile).
P.S. If you want more FREE training on how to properly use Social Media to market online – check out my toolbox here.